Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Day 55 -- Nothing but Chicks



I work for a small family farm who grow chickens to sell in the market. We have 6 barns, and grow approximately 120,000 chickens every 8 weeks. This is a shot inside one of the barns. There is about 15,000 chicks on this floor alone. The birds are about 10 days old here. We receive them the day they are born and they are fully grown and killed around age 38 days. Sorry the pic is so dark but the lights are kept low at this time for optimal growing.



This little guy didnt run away when I entered the barn like the others. I kept telling him to get up and move, cause if not he won't make it to tomorrow. They have to cull off the weak ones. :0(

5 comments:

Heather said...

Oh how CUTE!! My DD has been asking to see baby chicks -- I can't wait to show her your photo!!!

Heather said...

LOL! Robin just said "Is that Chicken World? Are we going to go there?" Neat pics!!

Robin says "Hi! I want to see the chickens. I want to hold the chickens and chicks."

Maggie said...

ooooh I bet it just smells like *roses* in there! lol. That is a LOT o' chicks.

Tanya said...

Roses? HA. not so much. but truthfully after 6 years I dont really smeall the "farm" smells anymore. I guess im immune. :0)

reany365 said...

That is alot of chicks! Poor little chick better start moving